Funding Provides Development Opportunities for Local Nursing Students
Cincinnati – February 5, 2014 – Interact for Change, a leader in innovative philanthropic solutions, along with Deaconess Associations Foundation, today announced scholarship opportunities for local nursing students. The Deaconess partnership has added ten available education-based scholarships to the Interact for Change administered program annually.
“These scholarships target nurses who want to advance in the field of nursing, become a nurse practitioner or nursing faculty,” said Francie Wolgin, senior program officer at Interact for Change. “Nurses are a key element in the quality of care in our community. The Deaconess sponsorship enables us to build and expand our nursing infrastructure to ensure we have the numbers to serve the Cincinnati region.”
Interact for Change will manage the scholarship application process. Applicants must live or attend an accredited nursing program within 65 miles of downtown Cincinnati, Ohio and submit transcripts demonstrating GPA of 3.0 or above.
“The Deaconess Foundation’s mission is to promote a “legacy of healing,” said Tony Woods, Chairman of Deaconess Associations, Inc. “By partnering with Interact for Change, we are able to access their scholarship expertise and enable the Deaconess Foundation to satisfy the intent of donors who wished to support continuing healthcare education in our community.”
Available scholarships are:
Deaconess Associations Scholarships were established by Deaconess Associations to benefit nursing and allied health students, especially those enrolled in nurse practitioner, geriatric clinical nurse specialist or nursing education programs.
- Five Deaconess Associations Advanced Practice Nursing Scholarships ($10,000) are awarded annually to students enrolled in accredited masters or doctorate programs in nursing.
- Five Deaconess Associations Nursing Scholarships ($5,000) are awarded annually to students enrolled in accredited associate or baccalaureate nursing programs and to students with non-nursing BA or BS degrees enrolled in an accredited program awarding an MSN.
• The Ida W. Casey Memorial Scholarship ($2,000) is named for the founding chair of the Department of Nursing at Edgecliff College, now Xavier University. The scholarship is awarded annually to a student enrolled in an accredited graduate degree nursing program.
• The Anna M. Drake Scholarship ($2,000) is named for a public health nurse and founder of District 8 (now known as the Southwestern Ohio Nurses Association) of the Ohio Nurses Association. The scholarship is awarded annually to a student enrolled in an accredited associate or baccalaureate nursing program.
• The Rose Hook Scholarship Fund ($2,000) honors a well-known Northern Kentucky nurse who was the first board chair of Interact for Change, and is an emeritus director of the Interact for Health board. The scholarship is awarded annually to a student pursuing an associate, baccalaureate, or graduate degree in nursing who resides and/or attends an accredited nursing program in Northern Kentucky.
• The Laura Rosnagle Memorial Scholarship ($2,000) recognizes the first Dean of University of Cincinnati's College of Nursing and Health. The scholarship is awarded annually to a registered nurse who is enrolled in an accredited Bachelor of Science in Nursing or Master in Science Nursing completion program, or to an individual with a non-nursing BA or BS degree now enrolled in an accredited program awarding an MSN degree.
Application forms are available online at www.interactforchange.org/scholarshipapplicationform.html and due February 28, 2014. Scholarships awards will be announced on May 1, 2014.
About the Deaconess Associations Foundation
The Deaconess Associations Foundation is a non-profit member of Deaconess Associations, Inc., a diversified healthcare corporation based in Cincinnati with long term care operations in Ohio and Kansas. In addition to supporting Deaconess Long Term Care, the Deaconess Foundation manages various community health initiatives, including Deaconess Medical Monitoring, an in-home emergency response and medication monitoring system; and Heimlich Heroes, an educational program that trains youth on how to perform the Heimlich maneuver. Deaconess Foundation also spearheaded ITNGreater Cincinnati, a transportation service for seniors and the sight-impaired. The Deaconess Foundation also provides financial support to community-driven healthcare initiatives, such as Deaconess Health Check, a school-based health and dental clinic in western Cincinnati.
About Interact for Change
A subsidiary of Interact for Health, Interact for Change is a full-service 21stcentury philanthropic organization that works with individuals, families, and private foundations that have a strong desire to achieve measurable results through charitable giving and venture philanthropy. To establish a new scholarship or to learn more about Interact for Change, visit www.interactforchange.org
About Interact for Health
Interact for Health, formerly The Health Foundation of Greater Cincinnati, improves the health of people in the Cincinnati region by being a catalyst for health and wellness. We accomplish our mission by promoting healthy living through grants, education, and policy. Interact for Health is an independent nonprofit that serves 20 counties in Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana. More information can be found at www.interactforhealth.org
Vice President, Policy and External Relations
Interact for Health
Senior Program Officer
Interact for Change/Interact for Health