The Heimlich Heroes program was developed to teach sixth grade students the life saving Heimlich maneuver. The program inspires children to realize they have the power to save a life and be a Super Hero. Heimlich Heroes program includes a robust curriculum that meets the objectives of the State of Ohio’s most recent Sixth Grade Academic Content Standards and the Common Core Standards. The program provides a platform for the Science teacher to incorporate Math, Health, Language Arts and STEM activities.
The students are taught the Heimlich maneuver on “Heidi Heimlich”, our 42 inch training doll. The doll is designed with an internal diaphragm, lungs and a windpipe. When the student finds the diaphragm and uses upward thrust motions, it pushes air through the lungs. This results in a piece of Styrofoam that is expelled from the doll’s mouth.
The Heimlich Institute and the Deaconess Associations Foundations hope to inspire a new generation of children to understand their own importance in society and the power to be a Super Hero. Heimlich Heroes program is currently being taught in local schools and continues to gain popularity. We plan to expand the program to schools across the nation.
HEIMLICH HEROES PROGRAM-SIXTH GRADE
- Teaches a life saving technique that empowers sixth graders to see themselves as a super hero
- Links the classroom with real world events that excites the student to react confidently during an emergency situation
- Meets Common Core Standards across subject and grade level
- Curriculum activities are hands-on, is project and builds collaborative skills
- STEM activities require problem solving, model design, decision making
- Students are greatly energized by the curriculum and the engaging materials
- Students who participate in the program report an increase in their self-esteem, independence and confidence
- Cross-curricular unit that combines math, science, health, language arts, arts and enhances collaboration
- Lesson units are multi-leveled to meet the teacher’s and students’ needs
- The curriculum unit supports the teacher by providing background information, Heimlich maneuver resources, overviews, answer keys, assessments, grading rubrics and educational standards met through the curriculum
- Minimal resource requirements; most activities require very few additional supplies not already in the classroom
- The program gives the teacher great flexibility to how to incorporate the unit
To bring the Heimlich Heroes program to your school, contact us by email by clicking here.
To reach us by phone please call Debbie Wolfer (Heimlich Institute Coordinator) at (513) 559-2468.